Architects Without Borders-Seattle volunteers collaborate with underserved communities to design and implement ecologically sensitive, culturally appropriate, life-changing projects.
Our Core Values
- Effective and appropriate design is vital to improving communities and the environment.
- Collaborative long-term relationships with communities are essential to providing effective design assistance.
- Exchange of knowledge and skills empowers both communities and designers.
- Interdisciplinary integrated design solutions maximize the positive impact of our projects.
- Volunteers are fundamental to our work.
Why We’re Here
Thoughtfully built infrastructure can help address root causes of poor health and economic development. But all over the world, communities lack access to architecture and design services.
In many communities, people can’t access design services because of financial obstacles or the lack of trained designers. Unfortunately, communities are best able to leverage donor or government funds for projects only after having designs in place. A local government may dedicate funds once blueprints are presented, but community groups cannot provide blueprints without funds to have them done. Similarly, donors may be willing to support the building of a school, but they need an image and budget before they invest their funds.
That’s where we come in. Architects Without Borders-Seattle brings communities in need free design services. Our volunteers partner with communities and engage people in a problem solving process. Through conversations, and at times a site visit, volunteers develop designs and present packages that communities can take to raise funds for their project.